The fact that you’ll be moving to a state with a smaller population density isn’t the only thing you’ll need to prepare for when moving from California to Oregon.
If you’re making the move, there are many things to consider. In this article, we’ll help you get ready for your relocation to the great state of Oregon. Read on for more information about becoming a true Oregonian.
You May Be Drastically Slowing Down Your Pace of Life
This, of course, depends on where you’re from in California. If you’re already from a sleepy California town, life may not be much different in Oregon. But, if you’re from Silicon Valley or Southern California, you’ll notice a drastic change of pace.
Things, especially on the coast, are just slower in Oregon. You’ll find that you have more time to breathe, and often more time to meet people. Life is slower up north, and that’s one of the reasons most people stay.
You Won’t Be Alone as a Californian
According to a survey in 2018, one-fifth of the population of Oregon was born in California. That’s a massive number of people.
As such, you won’t be the only one in Oregon from the Golden State. You’ll have plenty of friends to commiserate with or talk about the pros and cons of Oregon as compared to California. After all, with those stats, 20% of the people you work with are likely to be Californians.
Portland Has a Housing Shortage
If you’re moving to Oregon to live in Portland, you might find it tough to buy or rent your perfect house. The city itself is facing a housing crisis, though it’s been reported that it would be worse if more 20 and 30-something didn’t live with their parents. Still, it may be a struggle for some to find affordable housing.
Though, if you’re from California, where the housing prices are through the roof, you’ll probably find the crisis child’s play. But, if you’re from a very small Californian town and are moving, be prepared for a bit of sticker shock, and to take a while to look for your perfect abode.
Expect Rain And a Lot of It
If you live in a part of California, that’s in a desert or is prone to droughts, this is probably music to your ears. Oregon has a climate prone to very wet falls and winters, meaning you’ll have plenty of time to cozy up with a cup of tea and listen to the rainfall. While it may be hard to imagine, if you live in a dry climate, you might even get sick of the rain and long for drier weather.
The rain is rarely a massive storm, but often one that gets you wet when you’re outside.
Oregon Has Four Seasons
A large portion of California has two seasons: summer and spring, with a hint of a chill. Oregon, however, has all four–but luckily, they’re not extreme. Living in Oregon gives you a taste of all four seasons without the extremes of, say, living in New England.
As we stated above, expect a lot of rain in the fall and winter. But don’t expect it to get too cold. It sometimes dips below freezing, but only into the 30s or 20s. This means you won’t need to shell out big bucks for an expensive snow coat and you won’t have to adjust to extreme weather. You may get some snow, but it’ll be more light dusting than something that genuinely inconveniences you.
Spring sees weather rise to the 60s in April, and sometimes the 70s in May. You can, of course, expect April showers.
Summer temperatures hover in a cool 80 degrees most days, though you’ll get a 90 or 100-degree plus one a few times during the season. For a Californian from some areas, this mild summer may seem like heaven.
There is no “Moving Season”
Some cities and states see “moving seasons,” in which more people relocate. Often, this is the spring, when the weather is nicer and more dependable, but not too hot. During these seasons, housing and rent prices are often higher. Additionally, it may be more expensive to rent a moving van or use a moving company because of the demand.
Oregon doesn’t have one of these, partially because the weather isn’t extreme. If you live in a college town, you may notice a bigger scramble to leave at the end of spring, and another to move in at the end of summer.
As such, time the move when it is convenient for you, as prices for moving vans and services are not likely to change.
Moving from California to Oregon
Moving from California to Oregon may be a huge step in your life, and one that will likely bring you new friends, new opportunities, and a new way of life. We hope you’ll be satisfied with the move and mark it as a significant life decision.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you with your move:
- Start packing early: Begin packing well in advance of your move to ensure that everything is ready on time. Make sure to label your boxes with their contents and the room they belong in, so you can quickly unpack them when you arrive at your new home.
- Hire a reputable moving company: Research different moving companies and read reviews before making a decision. A reputable company will handle your belongings with care and provide insurance in case of any damages.
- Make a list of items you will need on the day of the move: Medications, toiletries, and essential documents. Pack these items in a separate bag or box that you can easily access during the move.
- Take an inventory of your items: Create a list of your possessions and take photos of them for insurance purposes. This will make it easier to file a claim if anything is damaged or lost during the move.
- Transfer your utilities and update your address: Contact your utility providers to have your services transferred to your new home. Don’t forget to also update your address with the post office, your bank, and any other organizations or subscriptions you have.
- Plan for your pets: If you have pets, arrange for their transportation and care during the move. Consider hiring a pet-sitting service or asking a friend or family member to take care of them for the day.
If you’re moving far, especially from the Bay Area or Southern California, renting a moving truck or hiring movers can help relieve some of the stress.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, click here to learn how to get the best moving quotes.
Compare Instant Moving Quotes from Licensed A+ Rating California to Oregon Movers CA to OR.
Licensed Top Rated Movers California to Oregon Moving Companies
Get FREE, NO Obligation Moving Quotes. COMPARE & SAVE!
With Over 20 Years of Experience In Moving and Relocation Service and over 897,567 (and counting) Satisfied Customer and Most Professional Movers that provide Moving Service from California to Oregon.
We are sure you will save Time & Money!
Moving from California to Oregon mostly will be charged based on weight or Cubic feet (depending on the size of shipment). There may be additional charges such as Packing Services, crating, Stair charges, high-value items, etc.
This you will discuss with the Moving Representatives. When TOP MOVERS COMPETE, YOU WIN!
With a Network of Over 500 Moving companies, we hope we can assist with reducing the stress Moving can cause.
We want to provide our customers with a few Moving Quotes that are Free and Easy to get from PreScreened Licensed Long Distance Movers.
Just fill-up the Short Form in less than 60 seconds. You will get Moving Quote Prices Instantly.
Browse our site for Moving Tips and Advise about moving from California to Oregon Moving Companies
Enjoy Moving From California to Oregon. Enjoy Oregon.
Things to Check Out Before Choosing a Moving Company from California to Oregon
- Research and compare: Start by doing some research to find moving companies that serve from California to Oregon. Look for reviews and ratings online and compare prices from multiple companies to find the best deal.
- Reputation: Research the reputation of the moving companies you are considering. Look for reviews online and ask for references from past customers who moved to Oregon.
- Check for licenses and certifications: Look for companies that are licensed and certified by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) or a similar organization. This ensures that the company follows safety regulations and has the necessary insurance coverage.
- Consider the services offered: Different moving companies from California to Oregon offer different levels of service. Some companies will do everything for you, while others will only provide transportation. Decide what level of service you need and choose a company that can meet those needs.
- Ask about storage options: If you need storage before or after your move, ask the company if they offer this service and what the costs are.
- Get a written estimate: Be sure to get a written estimate from the moving company to understand exactly what services are included in the price. This will help you avoid any unexpected costs.
- Ask about additional fees: Find out if the company from California to Oregon charges any additional fees for things like stairs, long carries, or packing materials.
By considering these factors, you can choose a reliable and trustworthy moving company to help with your relocation from California within the United States.
Essential Tips for Moving from California to Oregon in the United States
- Plan ahead: Start planning your move well in advance to ensure that you have enough time to get everything done before moving to Oregon.
- Research your new location in Oregon: Learn about your new location to get a sense of what it's like to live in Oregon. This will help you make informed decisions about things like housing, schools, and transportation.
- Gather moving estimates: Get estimates from multiple moving companies that operates from California to Oregon to find the best deal. Be sure to get a written estimate and read the fine print to understand what is and is not included in the price.
- Pack carefully: Use sturdy boxes and wrap fragile items carefully to ensure that they arrive at your new home in good condition. Consider labeling boxes with the room they are destined for to make unpacking easier.
- Transfer utilities and update your address from California to Oregon: Make sure to transfer your utilities and update your address with the post office, your bank, and any other relevant parties.
- Make travel arrangements: If you are driving to your new location, make sure to plan your route and book any necessary accommodations in advance. If you are flying, book your tickets and arrange for transportation to and from the airport.
- Make sure your documents are in order: Make sure you have all the necessary documents, such as driver's licenses and registration for your car, before you move from California.
By following these tips, you can make your plan to move from California to Oregon as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Main Cities in Oregon
|Clackamas County / Multnomah County / Washington County
|Marion County / Polk County
Cheap Moving Companies from California to Oregon
Not all movers operate from California to Oregon in the US. From the list of moving companies in our database, we have sorted out the moving companies that provide moving services from California to Oregon.
To get moving quotes from the top rated moving companies from California to Oregon just fill out the form on top of this page. We will reach out to you within 60 seconds.
|Direct Relocation Services LLC
4598 N Hiatus Rd, Sunrise
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33351
|Whitaker and Sons
50 Locust Ave
Danbury, CT 06810
|Gateway Moving and Storage
12747 Olive Blvd., Ste. 300
Saint Louis, MO 63141
|Alliance Movers Inc.
1658 Milwaukee Ave., #100-4754
Chicago, IL 60647